Articles & Resources« Back to Article List
What to Know When Registering for Gifts
There are many things that couples need to take into consideration when it comes to registering for gifts. Listed are some key tips:
• Register early for friends and family who want to buy for your engagement parties, bridal showers, etc.
• Be sure to register for items that you actually want and will use. Do not register for everything you see because you might receive that gift and have no use for it.
• Make sure you register for things in a variety of different price ranges so all your guests can afford to buy you a gift.
• It is not out of the question to register at two to four places to give guests more choices.
• Make sure the store you are registered at is hassle-free for buyers. It is even better for your guests if one or more of your registries can be found online.
• Since the gifts are for both of you, register together as a couple.
• Don't feel obligated to register for more items than the number of people on your guest list.
• Don’t register for seasonal items, because they will most likely be replaced every few months.
• See if the store will ship directly to you so your guests don’t have to pick up your gift and then send it through the post office.
• Most stores have an automatic system for tracking of your gifts, but just in case, visit your registries often to ensure items received have been removed.
• See how long your registry will remain open after your wedding for late shoppers.
• Make sure to write thank-you notes as soon as possible after the gifts are received.
This article was also featured in the 2009 VOW Wedding Planner. To view a PDF of this article, go to the PARTIES, GIFTS & MORE section of VOW.