planning your SD wedding? is your one-stop Sioux Empire wedding planning website featuring the best wedding professionals for South Dakota & Iowa brides! Register to:
-  Create your own FREE bride's page to share with your friends and family.
-  Win monthly Prize Packages valued at over $2500! 
-  Receive monthly e-newsletters, emails for alerts on sales, bridal shows and news!

sign up now

Articles & Resources

« Back to Article List

Legally Changing Your Last Name

All you basically need is a copy of your marriage license, which you can obtain from the courthouse within the county you originally applied.  A copy costs $10. Take the copy of your marriage license and bring it to the following places:

  • Social Security OfficeChanging Your Name Wedding Marriage
  • IRS Office
  • Postal Service for passport and address change
  • Department of Motor Vehicles

Also, you should remember to change your name with the following agencies:

  • Banks
  • Church
  • Credit Cards
  • Investment Accounts
  • Passport
  • Insurance Agent
  • Department store accounts
  • Memberships & Clubs
  • Organization
  • Subscriptions
  • Voter Registration
  • Landlord
  • Medical Facilities
  • Titles for Items owned
  • School or Universities/ Alumni Office
  • Utilities staff

Printable Version